Social Icons

Monday 21 September 2015

Mini #ETAGReport Update

It was a shame I missed the opportunity to meet my #ETAGReport colleagues today in London, however, other priorities took precedence I am afraid. 

The ETAG Challenge
As a bit of history, at the beginning of 2014, Ministers from DfE and BIS set up the Education Technology Action Group (ETAG). I was delighted to be invited as a member and advise on how digital technology might empower teachers and learners by enabling innovation across schools, further education and higher education sectors for the benefit of students, employers and the wider economy. ETAG is chaired by Stephen Heppell (IPACA Patron).

Our report available here, fundamentally concludes that the use of digital technology in education is not optional. Competence with digital technology to find information, to create, to critique and share knowledge, is an essential contemporary skill set. It belongs at the heart of education. Learners should receive recognition for their level of mastery; teachers and lecturers should too. Digital technology can and should bring joy and engagement: a delight in stellar progress, the exhilaration of unexpected challenges, some playfulness, the reaffirmation of a global audience.

2020 Looks Like This
The above was presented at BETT 2015, since then silence from the Department for Education.

Now, as a school leader, I am getting on with the spirit of the ETAG report (and I hope you are too) but I am disappointed that the report has been with the Minister for eight months now and still we have had no response.

I have a responsibility to make sure my learners take advantage of the learning opportunities technology presents and I cannot wait for the Department for Education's response to continue their progress.

While my learners continue to break new ground and use cloud technologies, augmented reality and 3D Printing to expand their horizons, I will leave the Department for Education to continue burying their head in the sand.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.